James Brown - There Was a Time - 1968

 Listen to There Was a Time on YouTube

I remember the first time I heard a James Brown record, it was 'There Was a Time', and it was about the most exciting thing I had ever heard. Exciting because it immediately made me feel good, and I wanted to move my body. 
I don't have this particular album, but do have most of the tracks on it - as singles on vinyl. They are prized possessions. Coincidentally, this being a 'live' album, James Brown at the Royal Albert Hall, 1971. It was the first concert I had ever been to. It was there where the whole James Brown experience went to another level – seeing him dance. I had grown up watching Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly dance, but this guy was amazing. His moves, together with his music were explosive and infectious.

Over the years, it seemed like James Brown (my idol ) was getting more and more bad press. I was fortunate enough to see him two more times; once at Wembley Arena, 1986 (which was only half filled ), and finally at Brixton Academy, 2000. It was on Christmas morning, 2006, my middle son, Byron, came downstairs, not thinking about Christmas, but telling me, "Dad, the Godfather of Soul has died".

Vic Clark


Comments

Popular Posts