The Beatles – No Reply – 1964

Listen on YouTube

Last December I went on holiday to London with my lovely girlfriend. We had a great time, the weather was cold, but not too much and it only rained once! We also drove to Canterbury and went to the cathedral on New Year’s Day.  Although we aren’t that religious, it was quite an experience to be in such a historic building, originally built over a thousand years ago and steeped in history.

Now I’m a hard-core Beatles fan, but my girlfriend hardly knows their music, so for me, they were the only option to play in the car. As we all know, they have written so many fantastic songs, but No Reply is hardly one of their more well-known compositions.  For some reason my girlfriend picked out this song from all the others as her favourite, and therefore became essential playing every day.

Written by John with a little help from his friend Paul, it was offered to another singer Tommy Quickly, but he never released it and therefore ended up on the Beatles For Sale album.

This song now reminds me of a fantastic holiday with my fantastic girlfriend, and it will always be “her” song.

Dave Moore


Comments

Popular Posts